Sunday, December 15, 2019

How to Paint 1/72 Plastic Miniatures

I found a post in the Tips section of the Hat website many years ago that described a method of painting plastic figures so the paint won’t flake off even if handled roughly.  I have tried many methods posted on TMP - washing with soapy water, using spray primer designed for plastics etc. - and this is the only method that has worked for me.  I painted some Zvezda GNW Russians as SYW French, individually based for old school rules.

 First, trim figures and glue to craft sticks. I do not wash them.

Next, I coat with a craft glue, Aleene’s Tack-It Over and Over.  Coat figures thoroughly but sparingly
as to not lose the figures detail.  I let dry over night.  The glue, even when dry will remain sticky which helps form a strong bond between the paint and the figures.

Next, I prime the figures with either spray or brush on paint.


I then paint the figures and seal them with Liquitex Matt Varnish.  I base the figures individually on 18mm round Litko bases and flock.

Here’s a picture of the finished unit and finally a picture of how I store them.  As you can see, I just scoop them up and put them in a box.  The figures are very durable and do not chip.  








No comments:

Post a Comment