I recently put the latest version of my Old School rules to the test with a game loosely based on Blastof from Charge! I played against my son who had never played before. It quickly became apparent that I had violate two of the five goals that I outlined two year ago, when I previewed the first iteration of these rules. To refresh, my initial goals were:
- Old school feel: units with individually based figures
- Brevity: core rules limited to two sides of one page
- Simplicity: something intuitive enough for a novice to grasp quickly
- Economy: minimum number of dice rolls and modifiers to get a result
- Morale: simple but something better than last man standing
Here are a few pics from the game.